Since the beginning of the program 5709 Orphans have been served. We’ve listed some of our proudest achievements below.
Orphans per Household
- 1996: more than five per household
- 2007: less than 2 orphans per household
- 76% of MCV’s primary school-age orphans attended school in 2007 compared with 67% of school-age children in the district overall.
- 85% of MCV’s secondary school-age orphans attended school in 2007 compared with just 31% of secondary school-age children in Mangochi district.
- 100% of students at MCV’s Gracious Secondary School students passed the JCE in 2008 compared to a national passing rate of below 40%.
- 38% of children under age five contracted malaria each month in the Mangochi District during 2008.
- Less than 15% of MCV’s orphans contracted malaria each month due to the successful implementation of an insecticide-treated bednet project
- 15% of MCV’s orphans under age five were considered underweight in 2008 compared with 22% of under age five children in the district overall.